Cherry, Blackberry and Nectarine Sangria

I do believe Spanish Sangria is one of summer’s perfect drinks.  While I find it’s perfectly acceptable made with the traditional Spanish fruit – (oranges, apples, lemons, and limes) – I much prefer an Americanized version laden with summer stone fruit and berries… in this case, lovely cherries, blackberries and sliced nectarines – a few of my personal faves.

I’ve been obsessing over Sangria all summer – ordering it when we go out to eat, and fiddling with various versions at home. I haven’t tired of this fabulous punch yet, and I have come to a few conclusions along the way.

First – No simple syrup.  I  find it makes the drink far too sweet.  (And huge apologies to my neighbors, who were subjected to one of my overly sweet concoctions in June – yikes!  Really, I thought that recipe from the Internet would be awesome…)

Second, the red wine version rules.  Not white, not rose.   I read recently that Sangria got it’s name from the Spanish world sangre (that would be blood) because of it’s deep red color.  Makes perfect sense, but really?

So I wonder, do we need a new name for the white-wine version?  Sorry, I digress…

Finally, during the summer, I like sangria topped with a bit of sparkling water – not essential, but it’s a bit lighter that way.

For your next gathering, mix up a pitcher or two of this fabulous punch… it’s easy, and so impressive.   Salud!  It’s great fun to serve Sangria with Tapas – Empanadas are especially popular at House Morell.  Having said that, Sangria works will with grilled meats or burgers as well…

Whatever you choose to serve it with, enjoy, and Salud!

Cherry, Blackberry and Nectarine Sangria

Cherry, Blackberry and Nectarine Sangria

• 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • 1 nectarine, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 bottle dry and fruity red wine
  • 1/4 cup Triple Sec
  • 1/4 cup brandy
  • Sparkling water and ice, to taste.

Combine the cherries, blackberries, and nectarines in a pitcher and muddle them until the juices are released.  Add the wine, Triple Sec, brandy, and orange juice. Cover the pitcher and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.  Serve over ice, and with a splash of sparkling water.

Like this post?  Please be sure to follow me via Email on the blog’s main page.  You may also follow me on BloglovinInstagram, PinterestTwitter.

Tagged with →

23 Responses to "Cherry, Blackberry and Nectarine Sangria"
  1. chefjulianna says:

The perfect, summer sangria!

2. Kaila511 says:

Sangria is one of those tricky drinks because it tastes so good, you don’t realize that there is alcohol in it! I love the flavors in your sangria! Happy FF, and have an awesome weekend. 🙂

3. I never actually was a fan of sangria… I want wine with my wine, as opposed to fruit. But this looks absolutely fabulous, I’m thinking of converting! I guess I’ll just have to try it and see, right? I looove your fruit choices, and the idea of sparkling sangria sounds perfectly summery. What a way to make these last weeks count!

4. Jess says:

Yum, this sangria looks so sweet and refreshing! Thank your for sharing with us at FF 🙂

5. What a beautiful color! It would definitely be dangerous!

6. acbistro says:

awwwww pass me the tumbler 🙂 i love sangria <3

7. Yummm this looks so good, I love sangria. I’ve never had the americanised version, but it sounds amazing! I would have to make mine with white wine though, the tannins in red wine give me a killer headache!

8. A Home Cook says:

Red wine + stuff. It;s amazing how so many different cultures have invented ways to expand the options for drinking wine. Mulled wine for winter, sangria for summer. Perfect. Happy Fiesta Friday.

9. Jhuls says:

I never had sangria before, but looking at the combination of fruits in here, I bet it’s awesome for those who drinks wine. I hope you have a wonderful time and happy FF to you. 🙂

10. Cherries are my favourite fruit and the colour of this just screams out to me ‘Try me, try me!’
    Happy FF

11. Mr Fitz says:

Loving that… I will take a few large ones please.. (for me alone.. ahem…)

12. ooh I love it! I’ve recently come back from a short break in Barcelona where we managed to get through a good few jugs of sangria. I’ve done a bit of experimenting at home, and I totally agree that the splash of sparkling water is great for lightening it up. I love the look of this version! Not sure I’ll be able to hold off for the weekend with this one 🙂

13. sangria looks great with lovely combo….

14. I’m a huge fan of Sangria especially when the weather is hot and the sangria has had sparkling water added to it – it is just so refreshing! This stone fruit one looks fabulous and just perfect for the pool party that Jhuls and I are co-hosting for Angie!! Just a quick question, do you muddle with the simple syrup and the fruit or did you forget to take it out of the instructions?! Have a wonderful week and thank you for sharing this with us at Fiesta Friday!

15. mimi says:

It’s always interesting seeing sangria recipes since they can be made so many different ways! One thing I always tend to do is top it off with a generous amount of Fresca. I don’t know why, but besides adding the bubbly, it I guess keeps that sangria from tasting too alcoholic, especially when I do add orange liqueur or brandy. Beautiful photos!