chimichurri

I know it’s officially fall, and food bloggers across the land have moved on to soups and stews and pumpkin spiced everything, but in Virginia it was brilliantly sunny and 70 yesterday – excellent grilling weather.  Everyone claims summer is the perfect time to grill, but really, when it’s 100 degrees in mid-July, who wants to fire up the grill? (Not I)

OK, I’ll be honest.  I didn’t actually grill.  I invited myself to dinner at a friend’s house, and Phil grilled.  But I brought the steaks and this awesome chimichurri sauce.  Come to think of it, I brought most of the dinner.  But as I did totally invite myself, it seemed the thing to do.

Oh, and the chimichurri sauce isn’t actually my recipe.  It’s my brother’s recipe.  (He’s affectionately referred to as “Tio” at House Morell.)  Tio is a real chef, runs an amazing restaurant in Chicago, and people write articles about him, and his fabulous South American-inspired recipes.  I’m just a hungry girl in a home kitchen.  And quite the mooch, it seems.

Chimichurri is a garlicky Argentine invention, is super easy to throw together, and great served with beef or chicken.  (Rumor has it it’s also quite nice with fish, but fish is rarely served at House Morell. Not for lack of effort by me.  Sigh.)  It’s one of the few things he serves at his restaurant I can make a home that rivals his restaurant version. (A whole fried fish, not so much.)

It’s generally made with lots of fresh parsley, a little oregano, olive oil, vinegar, and a bit of dried chili pepper flakes to give it a kick. Tio’s version is darn near perfect.  Seemed a good way to use some of the herbs left the the garden.

We’ll have to retire the grill eventually, (winter is coming) but for tonight, hanger steak smothered in Tio’s Chimichurri was a perfect fall meal.

chimichurri

Tio's Chimichurri

Ingredients
  • 3 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves (from about 3 bunches), very finely chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
  • 1½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¾ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Instructions
  1. In a medium-size airtight container, stir together the parsley, garlic, oregano, vinegar, salt, the black pepper, the bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Stir in the olive oil, cover and refrigerate the chimichurri sauce overnight.
  2. Particularly excellent served with a grilled hangar steak.

This seemed the perfect recipe to bring to the Cooking with Herbs Challenge:

Cooking with Herbs Lavender and Lovage

Like this post?  Please be sure to follow me via Email on the blog’s main page.  You may also follow me on BloglovinInstagram, PinterestTwitter.

Tagged with →

15 Responses to "Tio’s Chimichurri"
  1. Alex says:

You sound like the perfect dinner guest! I don’t know if I’ve ever had chimichurri but it sounds like many of my favorite things combined into a sauce, I will have to try this!

2. Mr Fitz says:

Loving that!! You just got bookmarked !

3. I’m with you I don’t really grill in the heat of the summer, dislike hot temps standing over a hot grill swatting mosquitoes, no thanks. Now when the weather has cooled is perfect. I love steak and chimichurri, I marinate my meat in it and use a s a condiment. Tio is very talented.

4. Argentinian sort of salsa–like a whole lot good. I would have to taste it in regard to fish. It might over power the flavor of many types of fish. But what a wonderful compliment to meat.

5. This looks like a delicious accompaniment to grilled meat. I’ve never made it, but we do like pesto, and I am thinking we would like this too.

6. dishofdailylife says:

I’ve been wanting to make chimichurri sauce forever! I am so glad that you shared this with us at Foodie Fridays! It looks awesome! Pinning and stumbling.

7. carl says:

you list 1tb.+1tsp. salt but it says to add only 2 tsp. in the container. What happens to the other 2 tsp. salt?

• mb says:

Thanks for the eagle-eye – I fixed it. Tio’s original recipe was for a steak plus the chimichurri…

• Peter Drohomyrecky says:

Since it’s going to be (almost) warm enough this weekend, I wanted to give this a try. Can you tell me how Tio preped the steak? Oil? Red Wine? 2 Tsp Salt?

• mb says:

Hi Peter! Thanks so much for your question… and I do hope it’s warm enough to grill in your world this weekend – my grill is still covered in snow.
          This is how Tio prepped his hangar steak: Set the hanger steak on a cutting board and season both sides with 2 teaspoons of salt. Let the steak sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes (or heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat). Use tongs and a folded paper towel to lightly coat the pan with the grapeseed oil (or to grease the grill grates), then place the steak in the pan (or on the grill) and cook, without moving, until the steak is deeply browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the steak over and grill the other side until browned, about 3 minutes longer for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing crosswise and against the grain. Serve smothered with the chimichurri sauce.

• Peter Drohomyrecky says:

Perfect. Thanks.
            It’s not warm enough to go outside to cook yet, but I’ll be cooking it inside in cast iron.
            The family loves the chimicurri – it’s on the table like a condiment now.

8. Dorinda Contreras says:

I love this verison of Chimi, but Argentine Chimi has lemon and they don’t often use chili pepper or olive oil. Just simple garlic, parsley, lemon juice and regular cooking oil. My children’s father is Argentine and I live there for a short stint. We used Chimi particularly on a cut of beef called flanken steak ribs. Honestly it is to die for. I like the replacement of olive oil for the regular cooking oil. Thanks for sharing this wonderful sauce!

9. María says:

There are many lovely versions of chimi in my country, but traditional, light, very simple criollo version use red vinegar, and a neutral flavour oil (not olive oil) oregan , could be more or less hot with chili (ají) ,pimentón (sweet red pepper powder), tomillo ( thyme) bay leaf and salt. Garlic and parsley (delicious ) but optional .Always ideal for red meat and grilled chorizo!

10. Omar says:

Simple, healthy and really tasty