After weeks of cooking and feasting and cleaning up the wreckage, post-holiday inventory control has been a big issue at House Morell this week. At various inopportune moments over the past few days, we’ve run out milk, garbage bags, onions, dish soap, parmesan cheese and olive oil. I should note, I’ve been to the market nearly every other day. I can walk there. On Sunday, I walked there twice.
(And really, who runs out of olive oil!?)
Yet in other corners of the kitchen, supplies are overflowing. So, in an effort to take stock of the provisions around here and regain control of the inventory, I wandered into the panty, clipboard in hand. I unearthed (among other excesses) three jars of honey and three full bags of roasted hazelnuts. I have no idea why I felt a need to hoard hazelnuts, but the inner squirrel in me immediately thought: “Well that’s convenient. I could make a lovely granola with all these hazelnuts.” (Never mind the shopping list I’m meant to be working on.)
So I did. I rarely find granola in stores that is nearly as good as what I can make at home, and I am forever tinkering with various flavor combos. Honey and hazelnuts are a dreamy pair, it turns out. And golden raisins give the granola a nice pop of sweetness.
So, as frigid January sets in, might I suggest you whip up a quick, hearty batch of this granola?
As for me, I’m off to the store again. Though I unearthed five half-consumed containers of Ovaltine in the pantry, it seems we’re out of coffee. And that’s a truly a problem. (Admittedly a first world problem.) Perhaps I’ll regain control of the inventory next week…
- 3 cups oats
- 1½ cups hazelnuts
- 1½ cups dry toasted sliced almonds
- 1½ cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup pepitas
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¾ cups golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, hazelnuts, almonds, pepitas, and coconut.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, then add olive oil, honey, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine, until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat and nut combination, making sure all of the nuts are evenly coated. Sprinkle the mixture with sea salt, and continue to stir.
- Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.
- Transfer granola to a large bowl and add the golden raisins, tossing to combine.